After the funeral .........
The fitting of the new kitchen had been scheduled to begin the day before the funeral. They agreed to re-arrange it to begin the day after instead. OK, it is bound to be somewhat chaotic but I want to get it done and the bedroom finished and I know once you put something off you could be waiting ages!
While Simon was taking Mark to the airport, and I was snoozing in the armchair, Sara and Scott set to and emptied the kitchen cupboards and put everything in the new bedroom next door in readiness for the next day, which dawned bright and sunny. Simon, Scott and Chloe were due to leave around 11 am so we didn't have to rush around too much. The kitchen units arrived and were stacked under the drive, then the removal of the rest of the units began. I can't remember which day we actually lost the use of the sink and the water, we had to resort to buying water again for drinks and use the downstairs cloakroom to wash up. As well as the kitchen people we had plumbers (moving the washing machine) and the electrician (upgrading the supply).
Thursday Sara insisted I went to the doctor, didn't argue, felt lousy. Sure enough, a chest infection, so antibiotics prescribed. Had a long talk with the doctor who was the one who'd visited Derek last week. Whenever I need help (bereavement counselling etc.) everything is available to me, just have to ask. I love the meds you can get in Spain - after two antibs the pain around my ribs had started to go and I began to feel better. In the UK it would have taken days before I saw any improvement. Managed to get some tidying up done and arrange what was left of the kitchen so we could prepare food and make cups of tea. A bit like camping!
Friday we visited the market and did one or two errands in the village, a bit of food shopping to tide me over the weekend as I didn't plan on moving far, just resting - the walk around the market took more out of me than I expected. Rest definitely seems to be the order of the day.
Finally, Saturday was here and Sara and Elli were due to leave. I really didn't want this to be a hugely emotional stressful event - Sara doesn't travel well, her trips almost always end with a migraine, never mind that she would be upset over leaving me and missing her dad. She has over an hour's drive back in the UK to get home, nightmare with a migraine. But Antonio, our taxi driver, is a very understanding man and is now used to her bawling her eyes out on the way to the airport every time she leaves! To add to the stress of this particular journey, when I checked the flight on the internet I found there was over an hour's delay. We spoke to each other three or four times after she arrived at the airport, each time ended with Sara in tears, me trying to console her, anything to stop the headache starting. In vain unfortunately so I was pleased to hear from her later that she'd arrived home safely.
As for me, I set to on the laundry mountain and managed to give the downstairs a good clean up. It was at least tidy for the rest of the weekend, which I spent being as lazy as possible!
To be continued............
While Simon was taking Mark to the airport, and I was snoozing in the armchair, Sara and Scott set to and emptied the kitchen cupboards and put everything in the new bedroom next door in readiness for the next day, which dawned bright and sunny. Simon, Scott and Chloe were due to leave around 11 am so we didn't have to rush around too much. The kitchen units arrived and were stacked under the drive, then the removal of the rest of the units began. I can't remember which day we actually lost the use of the sink and the water, we had to resort to buying water again for drinks and use the downstairs cloakroom to wash up. As well as the kitchen people we had plumbers (moving the washing machine) and the electrician (upgrading the supply).
Thursday Sara insisted I went to the doctor, didn't argue, felt lousy. Sure enough, a chest infection, so antibiotics prescribed. Had a long talk with the doctor who was the one who'd visited Derek last week. Whenever I need help (bereavement counselling etc.) everything is available to me, just have to ask. I love the meds you can get in Spain - after two antibs the pain around my ribs had started to go and I began to feel better. In the UK it would have taken days before I saw any improvement. Managed to get some tidying up done and arrange what was left of the kitchen so we could prepare food and make cups of tea. A bit like camping!
Friday we visited the market and did one or two errands in the village, a bit of food shopping to tide me over the weekend as I didn't plan on moving far, just resting - the walk around the market took more out of me than I expected. Rest definitely seems to be the order of the day.
Finally, Saturday was here and Sara and Elli were due to leave. I really didn't want this to be a hugely emotional stressful event - Sara doesn't travel well, her trips almost always end with a migraine, never mind that she would be upset over leaving me and missing her dad. She has over an hour's drive back in the UK to get home, nightmare with a migraine. But Antonio, our taxi driver, is a very understanding man and is now used to her bawling her eyes out on the way to the airport every time she leaves! To add to the stress of this particular journey, when I checked the flight on the internet I found there was over an hour's delay. We spoke to each other three or four times after she arrived at the airport, each time ended with Sara in tears, me trying to console her, anything to stop the headache starting. In vain unfortunately so I was pleased to hear from her later that she'd arrived home safely.
As for me, I set to on the laundry mountain and managed to give the downstairs a good clean up. It was at least tidy for the rest of the weekend, which I spent being as lazy as possible!
To be continued............

2 Comments:
yay.....so glad you blogged, I was starting to get worried about you!
I hope you're feeling a bit better. Looking forward to seeing photos of the finished kitchen :)
Thinking about you loads. Keep on going with that TLC.
Hugs and love
Sallyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for the update! I hope you are managing to get plenty of rest and please take advantage of the grief counseling when you are ready for it.
Like Sally, I can't wait for the pics of the finished kitchen - my favorite room in any home; well, second favorite other than the room holding the computer!!! LOL
We are having wonderful weather here and glad to hear that your weather is co-operating as well!
Loving hugs,
Mellan :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home