Thursday, February 25, 2010

At last ......

.... Never meant to leave it this long - but then I always say that! Can't believe it will be 1st March next Monday. So, on with the update.....



My last entry was written the day before Dave Semthurst's funeral service. Found it a little un-nerving to be back at Denia crematorium to begin with. Dave and Brenda have/had lots of friends and were involved in various different activities locally, particularly bowling and golf. So the crematorium was full of friends, in fact it could well have been standing room only, so around 200 people present. Three or four of their closest friends recalled their memories of David, but I think for everyone the most moving and significant moment was when local opera singer Izzy sang 'Time to say goodbye'. Izzy used to live next door to Dave and Brenda, she came over from England to live with her grandmother several years ago and now spends a lot of her time singing on cruise ships. Not only is she stunningly beautiful, but her voice is amazing and she is such a sweet girl to talk to - click on the red link above to go to her website.

In a former life Brenda was a Redcoat and I have to say that side of her is still in evidence today, so we shouldn't have been surprised that she chose 'Always look on the bright side of life' to end the service, after rather bravely saying her own public goodbye to David.

Everyone was invited to return to Brenda and David's house for refreshments after the service - copious amounts of food and drink flowed and whilst there was sadness there was also lots of laughter and I enjoyed meeting more of the folk who live in this village and surroundings; I was still very much the new girl on the block and maybe the object of more than a little speculation.

I'll tell you how we celebrated christmas and new year in my next update.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home