Sunday, October 05, 2008

Decision made ......

I've put the house on the market. Been thinking about it for a while and finally made the decision this week. Not only is it too big, the costs of running it are rising and my income is falling because of the poor GBP/Euro exchange rate. However the main reason is that it is complicated for non-residents to inherit property in Spain and I don't want the children to have the stress and hassle of complying with the requirements of Spanish law at the moment. Of course, it is possible the law will change, the Spanish are good at changing the laws of the land almost on a whim, sometimes with very little public notification, and not always for the better.

I'm very aware that this is not the best time to be on the housing market, but on that same basis, now is as good a time as any. I have my fingers crossed for an early viewing - the agency I've chosen to go with has a client arriving during the coming week who is looking for a property with some of the features mine has to offer.

When (if?) I sell I'll look for a suitable long term permanent rental. I don't want an apartment, I don't think I could cope without at least a small garden around me. A bungalow similar to the one we used to own, but with three bedrooms instead of two, would suit me very well. I'd like to stay here in Moraira but if there's nothing suitable then I'm prepared to look at other villages nearby.

Almost brought a cat home from Pedreguer on Friday night! I'd arranged to meet friends at Monroe's although Blue Skies also had their weekly outing there that evening. As I'd already booked with the U3A for Saturday I chose not to join the BS group this time. At the end of the evening I was talking to one of the Blue Skies men in the car park for quite a while, during which time I opened my car door. One of the cats that hangs around the restaurant must have got in without my seeing it, and it was only when I was reversing out of my parking spot that I saw it sitting on the back parcel shelf. I am not a cat lover, so I was not pleased, and quickly stopped the car, hopped out, opened both back doors and shoo'ed the thing out. Thank goodness I saw it when I did instead of on the road home, that would have scared me to death!

Annie, Helen and I had our first outing with the U3A solo dining group last night. We went to the Gemasant, a restaurant I've never been to before but heard a lot about. There were ten of us present, nine women and one man! We thoroughly enjoyed the evening, seem a nice group of people although I wasn't able to meet and talk to everyone at the table. Really enjoyed the menu I chose, though as usual I wasn't able to fit in a dessert!

Busy day ahead today - Jen arrives on Tuesday and of course I have to keep on top of everything now the house is for sale, so lots of chores to be done!

Bye for now .....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't envy you the "selling process" and hope that it sells quickly for you and that you will find something suitable at the same time.

You haven't spoken of it in a long time, but are you scrapbooking at all, lately? I miss seeing your beautiful layouts.

Take care and make it a fun day!
Loving hugs,
Mellan :)

1:55 pm  
Blogger Sally said...

Hope you have a quick sale :) Not sure I envy you the packing and moving though :( Good to see you keeping in touch!

9:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home