Oh what a night! .......
Last night - the Moraira International Music Festival, re-scheduled from last month (the evening before the start of the village's Moors and Christians week), when it was cut short by torrential rain. Helen and I went down to the beach to meet Annie and her group of friends (none of whom Helen and I knew), set up our tables and chairs, had a picnic and a few drinks first. Unfortunately, in spite of beautiful sunshine, there was what seemed like a force 5 gale blowing off the sea; even so, the beach was still very busy and quite a few others like ourselves had set up their own picnics in order to enjoy the music which was being played on a stage set up near the castle. We missed the first act as we didn't arrive till 8 pm and the festival began at 7.
After an hour or so sitting on the beach Helen and I decided to have a wander into the centre and see what was happening around the stage area. It was heaving, all the restaurants and bars were pretty much full but we managed to get a table at Jimmy's and sat down to enjoy a coffee and a brandy, listen to the music and 'people watch'. Shortly afterwards Brenda, Jock (Sheila) and Neil spotted us and came to join us. Helen and I must have been away from our original party for a good hour and a half so reluctantly we decided we must head back, but only to put our things in Helen's car and then return to the stage area to continue enjoying the music, which we did.
The acts we missed before we arrived or were still on the beach included Theatre Express, Dark Horse, Rock of Ages and Sax in the City. Charlotte Henry was singing when we had our coffees, and we got back in time to see Emma Rose Wright (Emz) and the final act Rubber Soul which is a Beatles tribute band. Rubber Soul's line-up includes Tony and Anthony Rivers (father and son) who are very well known locally, both as individual singers and also as a duo. Tony Rivers had his own group in the 60s - Tony Rivers and the Castaways - which was later re-named Harmony Grass (their first hit was 'Move in a little closer baby'). This is the first time I've seen Rubber Soul and they were brilliant, Helen and I were enjoying ourselves so much we just had to stay until the very end by which time it was well past midnight. The crowd was in such good spirits, extremely well behaved, there were lots of young families with very small children too, in spite of the late hour. Helen and I remarked while walking back to the car that we couldn't think of anywhere in the UK we could do what we'd done that evening. I made up my mind that from now on I'll be down there in the middle of it all whenever there's something going on, the atmosphere was so great.
Re-wind to Saturday evening which saw the 5 of us (Annie, Brenda, Helen, Mariel and me) dining at the Salamander. 'Dining' is the only word to use. This was 'posh'! I'd not been before but the others had and since their last visit there've been changes - no 'menu del dia' being the obvious one. Annie and Mariel had roast suckling pig, first time I've seen that on a menu - they both declared it divine. I had chicken and it was delicious. At an average of €35 each it was almost twice what we normally pay on our Saturday evenings out but worth every cent. I should also add that the service from the waiting staff was superb.
Re-wind again to Tuesday and Friday, my nights for listening to John at the President Bar in Javea and Monroe's at Pedreguer respectively. Thankfully, on Tuesday the previous week's drunken Spaniard did not put in an appearance, and on Friday there was a lovely breeze flowing through the terrace area which meant I could dance and still keep fairly cool - unlike the previous week where I yet again ended the evening looking as if I'd just stepped out of the shower.
Must start the day - early appointment at the medical centre then lunch with the g/fs as usual. Hope you all have a good one!
After an hour or so sitting on the beach Helen and I decided to have a wander into the centre and see what was happening around the stage area. It was heaving, all the restaurants and bars were pretty much full but we managed to get a table at Jimmy's and sat down to enjoy a coffee and a brandy, listen to the music and 'people watch'. Shortly afterwards Brenda, Jock (Sheila) and Neil spotted us and came to join us. Helen and I must have been away from our original party for a good hour and a half so reluctantly we decided we must head back, but only to put our things in Helen's car and then return to the stage area to continue enjoying the music, which we did.
The acts we missed before we arrived or were still on the beach included Theatre Express, Dark Horse, Rock of Ages and Sax in the City. Charlotte Henry was singing when we had our coffees, and we got back in time to see Emma Rose Wright (Emz) and the final act Rubber Soul which is a Beatles tribute band. Rubber Soul's line-up includes Tony and Anthony Rivers (father and son) who are very well known locally, both as individual singers and also as a duo. Tony Rivers had his own group in the 60s - Tony Rivers and the Castaways - which was later re-named Harmony Grass (their first hit was 'Move in a little closer baby'). This is the first time I've seen Rubber Soul and they were brilliant, Helen and I were enjoying ourselves so much we just had to stay until the very end by which time it was well past midnight. The crowd was in such good spirits, extremely well behaved, there were lots of young families with very small children too, in spite of the late hour. Helen and I remarked while walking back to the car that we couldn't think of anywhere in the UK we could do what we'd done that evening. I made up my mind that from now on I'll be down there in the middle of it all whenever there's something going on, the atmosphere was so great.
Re-wind to Saturday evening which saw the 5 of us (Annie, Brenda, Helen, Mariel and me) dining at the Salamander. 'Dining' is the only word to use. This was 'posh'! I'd not been before but the others had and since their last visit there've been changes - no 'menu del dia' being the obvious one. Annie and Mariel had roast suckling pig, first time I've seen that on a menu - they both declared it divine. I had chicken and it was delicious. At an average of €35 each it was almost twice what we normally pay on our Saturday evenings out but worth every cent. I should also add that the service from the waiting staff was superb.
Re-wind again to Tuesday and Friday, my nights for listening to John at the President Bar in Javea and Monroe's at Pedreguer respectively. Thankfully, on Tuesday the previous week's drunken Spaniard did not put in an appearance, and on Friday there was a lovely breeze flowing through the terrace area which meant I could dance and still keep fairly cool - unlike the previous week where I yet again ended the evening looking as if I'd just stepped out of the shower.
Must start the day - early appointment at the medical centre then lunch with the g/fs as usual. Hope you all have a good one!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home