I rocked!
Turns out 'Modern Jive' ain't quite so modern after all - it's what I've been doing since I was about 12! I expected it to be like the 'rock and roll' that Sara did when she was dancing competitively (disco and r and r), which was more an 'exhibition' style than good old jiving. So I felt right at home as soon as I saw what Richard and Kate (the teachers) were doing. What threw me was having to go through it literally step by step and realising that the moves all have names and I'd have to learn what they were! None of that back in the 50s, you just got up and did it. But I had a great time and Richard used me to help demonstrate moves while Kate was helping Bobby, a sweet little old guy who obviously comes to class for a good laugh! I worked up a heck of a sweat (it was WAAAAAAAAYYYYY past a ladylike 'glow'!). It was fabulous fun and I can't wait to go back in a couple of weeks.
So feeling really positive again, I decided to do some scrapping. I wanted to do a layout using the photos we took at the crematorium on the day of Derek's ceremony. I'm totally gobsmacked that I managed to do a DOUBLE LO in about four hours! I am normally a very slow scrapper and rarely do doubles - in the whole time I've been scrapping (18 months or so) I've only done three or four. I tried to avoid 'funeral' colours and included two other photos as well, my all time favourite one of Derek which is about 20 years old, and the last one we had taken together on our ruby wedding anniversary. Sorry about the uneven edges - very difficult 'stitching' four scanned images together!

The next one I'm hoping to do (tomorrow all being well) is to commemorate Kathy, my best friend from school, who died in January after a long illness. She was chief bridesmaid at our wedding but sadly we never saw each other again after that day in September 1964. Life got very much in the way ........ We did keep in touch though. She and her husband moved to the Costa del Sol a few years ago and I really hoped once Derek and I moved here we'd be able to meet up. Unfortunately she contracted a very rare illness about two years ago and was nowhere near well enough to withstand a visit from us. So sad - RIP Kathy.
Presently I'm listening to Eurovision on the radio - in spite of a 2.4 meter satellite dish we can't get a signal for BBC and ITV - I don't know which mountain is in the way but one of them is!
Touching and being touched
Of all the things I've missed since Derek died, this is what I feel most keenly. And I'm not talking about 'intimate' touching here either, just the casual hand on hand, tap on the shoulder, pat on the bottom kind of thing. Just helping him get up in a morning and getting dressed, him holding my hand while he went up and down steps. I miss it.
I've got into the habit of buying flowers from the market each week - Derek's ashes stand in the fireplace opening and I put fresh flowers beside them each week - this week it's white dianthus and yellow freesias, very fresh and springlike - I hope he's enjoying them!
Off to put my feet up - have a good weekend everyone!
So feeling really positive again, I decided to do some scrapping. I wanted to do a layout using the photos we took at the crematorium on the day of Derek's ceremony. I'm totally gobsmacked that I managed to do a DOUBLE LO in about four hours! I am normally a very slow scrapper and rarely do doubles - in the whole time I've been scrapping (18 months or so) I've only done three or four. I tried to avoid 'funeral' colours and included two other photos as well, my all time favourite one of Derek which is about 20 years old, and the last one we had taken together on our ruby wedding anniversary. Sorry about the uneven edges - very difficult 'stitching' four scanned images together!

The next one I'm hoping to do (tomorrow all being well) is to commemorate Kathy, my best friend from school, who died in January after a long illness. She was chief bridesmaid at our wedding but sadly we never saw each other again after that day in September 1964. Life got very much in the way ........ We did keep in touch though. She and her husband moved to the Costa del Sol a few years ago and I really hoped once Derek and I moved here we'd be able to meet up. Unfortunately she contracted a very rare illness about two years ago and was nowhere near well enough to withstand a visit from us. So sad - RIP Kathy.
Presently I'm listening to Eurovision on the radio - in spite of a 2.4 meter satellite dish we can't get a signal for BBC and ITV - I don't know which mountain is in the way but one of them is!
Touching and being touched
Of all the things I've missed since Derek died, this is what I feel most keenly. And I'm not talking about 'intimate' touching here either, just the casual hand on hand, tap on the shoulder, pat on the bottom kind of thing. Just helping him get up in a morning and getting dressed, him holding my hand while he went up and down steps. I miss it.
I've got into the habit of buying flowers from the market each week - Derek's ashes stand in the fireplace opening and I put fresh flowers beside them each week - this week it's white dianthus and yellow freesias, very fresh and springlike - I hope he's enjoying them!
Off to put my feet up - have a good weekend everyone!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home