Weekend workshops......
Spent the weekend at Anke's 1World Scrap shop this weekend. Ramona Brinkmann (from Germany) was our teacher and we did three workshops over the two days. Saturday's classes were making a mini album in a box (morning) and a box frame layout (afternoon). Sunday's class was making cards. Here's what I did:
Mini Accordion Album in a Box : This should be fixed into an 8 x 8 decorated box but there was a mix up over numbers and a first time scrapper would have been left without the album and box so I passed mine over to her. I made up my own accordion album from chipboard but there was no box so I'll get that later. I know what to do with it and took a picture on my phone to refer to later! (Can't believe I forgot my camera this time!). When I get the box and complete the album I'll post a fresh picture.

Box Frame Layout : I love this! Ramona loves handcutting and there was a lot of that for this project. It is NOT my favourite technique by any means, I find handcutting tedious and I'm not neat! However, I'm pleased with the result and this will, I think, be the first ever piece I'll put out on display. I need to find a suitable picture for the centre of it and add a title if I choose to. I may try this kind of project again.

The final (Sunday morning) class was to make cards. For this we used very colourful double-sided cardstock quality papers rather than card blanks. Very easy to do and we managed 11 cards in just under three hours.

I loved these classes, Ramona is a very relaxed teacher and extremely patient. She and Anke spent Saturday night at my house to save Anke travelling back to Valencia and Ramona's parents having to collect her to go back to their holiday apartment in Calpe, as they needed to be at the shop early enough to clear up from the day before and set out for the card class. Saturday evening a group of us went into Javea for a meal - great evening and it was almost 1 a.m. before we arrived back here! Haven't been out that late for a very long time.
Anke provided lots of goody bags and refreshments throughout both days. Some of the fellow class members were familiar to me from the Rusty Pickle/Ranger Inks weekend, others were new.
Needless to say after a weekend of heavy scrapping I was shattered last night. I'm going back to the shop later today to (hopefully) collect my album box and maybe make a few more purchases, there's lots of lovely new stash coming in as a result of Anke's trip to CHA 2007.
Rest of the news? Very little actually. My foot is nearly healed but not quite and I've found it aches when I've been on it too much. Might be a little bit of nerve damage, will see how it goes. The weather has been stiflingly hot so I've hardly been out and about except when absolutely necessary!
I've got my satellite fixed! I thought I'd have to subscribe again to Sky because I was getting virtually no channels at all except Five and it's variations, not even BBC and ITV. Turned out my dish had shifted a bit (no mean feat as it's a 2.4m dish!) because of the palm tree behind it. Those branches are really strong and were enough to move it by a few millimetres, sufficient to lose the signal. Now I have BBC and ITV and for now I'm quite happy with that. The offending tree has been severely cut back and I'll be keeping a close eye on it. In fact I'm tempted to get Mark to help me cut the remaining branches. The tree is only decorative, it doesn't provide shade because it's not in the part of the garden where we sit out or near enough to the house to shade a window for instance. I think I could lose it quite easily!
Finally we've settled on a date for Derek's memorial service - 9th October. Now the family and I have to decide how we want the service to go.
Right, going to leave it there for now, I didn't get any chores done this weekend so that's my first job today before it gets too hot (not that it makes much difference, I'm soaked already!).
Mini Accordion Album in a Box : This should be fixed into an 8 x 8 decorated box but there was a mix up over numbers and a first time scrapper would have been left without the album and box so I passed mine over to her. I made up my own accordion album from chipboard but there was no box so I'll get that later. I know what to do with it and took a picture on my phone to refer to later! (Can't believe I forgot my camera this time!). When I get the box and complete the album I'll post a fresh picture.
Box Frame Layout : I love this! Ramona loves handcutting and there was a lot of that for this project. It is NOT my favourite technique by any means, I find handcutting tedious and I'm not neat! However, I'm pleased with the result and this will, I think, be the first ever piece I'll put out on display. I need to find a suitable picture for the centre of it and add a title if I choose to. I may try this kind of project again.
The final (Sunday morning) class was to make cards. For this we used very colourful double-sided cardstock quality papers rather than card blanks. Very easy to do and we managed 11 cards in just under three hours.
I loved these classes, Ramona is a very relaxed teacher and extremely patient. She and Anke spent Saturday night at my house to save Anke travelling back to Valencia and Ramona's parents having to collect her to go back to their holiday apartment in Calpe, as they needed to be at the shop early enough to clear up from the day before and set out for the card class. Saturday evening a group of us went into Javea for a meal - great evening and it was almost 1 a.m. before we arrived back here! Haven't been out that late for a very long time.
Anke provided lots of goody bags and refreshments throughout both days. Some of the fellow class members were familiar to me from the Rusty Pickle/Ranger Inks weekend, others were new.
Needless to say after a weekend of heavy scrapping I was shattered last night. I'm going back to the shop later today to (hopefully) collect my album box and maybe make a few more purchases, there's lots of lovely new stash coming in as a result of Anke's trip to CHA 2007.
Rest of the news? Very little actually. My foot is nearly healed but not quite and I've found it aches when I've been on it too much. Might be a little bit of nerve damage, will see how it goes. The weather has been stiflingly hot so I've hardly been out and about except when absolutely necessary!
I've got my satellite fixed! I thought I'd have to subscribe again to Sky because I was getting virtually no channels at all except Five and it's variations, not even BBC and ITV. Turned out my dish had shifted a bit (no mean feat as it's a 2.4m dish!) because of the palm tree behind it. Those branches are really strong and were enough to move it by a few millimetres, sufficient to lose the signal. Now I have BBC and ITV and for now I'm quite happy with that. The offending tree has been severely cut back and I'll be keeping a close eye on it. In fact I'm tempted to get Mark to help me cut the remaining branches. The tree is only decorative, it doesn't provide shade because it's not in the part of the garden where we sit out or near enough to the house to shade a window for instance. I think I could lose it quite easily!
Finally we've settled on a date for Derek's memorial service - 9th October. Now the family and I have to decide how we want the service to go.
Right, going to leave it there for now, I didn't get any chores done this weekend so that's my first job today before it gets too hot (not that it makes much difference, I'm soaked already!).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home