Monday, June 11, 2007

Falling behind .....

I can just never quite keep up with this blogging lark! The last four weeks have been a bit manic - I've had two lots of visitors! Think my update will be better in two or three separate posts!

First, the property valuations. I was disappointed (but not surprised) to learn that at the moment I could only realistically expect to get about what we paid for the house back in November 2004. One agent did suggest a higher figure which would also cover what's been spent recently but the general feeling among all the agents is that the market needs a year at least to settle down. A second said that if I had the nerve to stick it out for two or even three years I could do much better. Well, I did say right from the start that I intended to give myself a year to see how I get on so that fits with their general view and my intentions.

Doug and Doreen arrived the same week for a ten day stay. It was so good to see them, they were both feeling a bit down and it was strange for the three of us to be together without Derek. I've made it plain that I don't want anyone to feel they can't talk about him and I hope that message will be passed back to the friends I'll be meeting up with back in the UK when I make my trip at the end of the month.

We did lots of little things while D and D were here, including a visit to Benidorm's Sunday market. They like Benidorm and are far more familiar with it than I am. I'd never have found the market so thank goodnes for Dougie! It's big and very cramped and shoulder to shoulder with punters! It was also hot. Having done it I won't be in a hurry to visit again! Doreen had bought some shoes at the Moraira market but then wished she'd bought a second pair. Her only opportunity was to get some from Benidorm. After what seemed like hours and almost at the end of the market we found a stall selling what she wanted.

They bought a beautiful rose bush for Derek from a local garden centre, we hope it's called Red Devil, it didn't have a label but was with others of that name and was the only one with a bloom, which is a fabulous colour and smells gorgeous. It's now in a large pot outside my back door.

We went to Javea one day - Dougie wanted to find a jeweller's shop he remembered. It was still there! Had a walk along the prom, stopping for coffee halfway, then we went in search of the Yorkshire Linen shop, hoping also to find the Scrapbooking shop as well, which I believed was close by. It was! Unbelievably I am much better set up here in Spain for getting scrapping stash locally than I ever was in the UK where I was forced to do most of my shopping online. Anke, who owns the shop (1worldscrap), is a lovely lady and has worked wonders in getting Spanish ladies to take up scrapbooking. Over the weekend following D and D's departure she was running workshops with classes by Lance Anderson of Rusty Pickle and Jen Starr from Ranger Inks - after telling my scrapping friends on Scrapitude and finding out just how highly thought of these two are I signed up for a couple of classes, one on each of the two days. In a later blog I'll show what I did (haven't taken pictures of my work yet!)

While they were here Dougie used Derek's electric scooter to get around on so I suggested he took it home when they left - what use is it to me? There's no doubt Derek would approve! I was sad to see them go home but it won't be long before I'm back there myself.

On the Monday following my scrapping weekend I finally got to the notary to sign the documents which I hope has now completed the formalities following Derek's death. Once I had them in my sticky mitts I rushed them over to the bank who'd frozen the bank account yet again. The account was frozen at a certain amount, there's money in the account above that figure but I can't use an ATM machine to get it, so until their head office has had the documents and given permission for the account to be unblocked I have to go to the bank each time I want cash. A bit of a nuisance to say the least!

Will leave it there for now, back later with more!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carole!
I am so glad to hear from you again! And to hear that you are having some good news in your life! I have checked your blog almost every day and had just about figured you were in the UK. I'm looking forward to reading about your scrapping weekend.
Take care and make it a fun day!

3:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home