Friday, September 08, 2006

Blessing in disguise

I hope this is how we're going to approach the fact of DH's diabetes. It is giving us the kick we need to adopt (and keep) a healthier lifestyle. As a (feels like!) lifelong dieter I understand how important it is to eat healthily and take exercise. It's a pity I don't always put these things into practice. There are usually two things that scupper me - one, when things aren't going right I comfort eat, the other is when meal plans have to be altered at the last minute for any reason (having to go out unexpectedly or cater for more than I'm expecting at short notice). The last four months have been totally chaotic and as a result I've gained more than a stone (that's 14 lbs for my overseas friends!). DH's weight fluctuates a lot depending on his state of health. We both need to take a more sensible approach, starting now. Let's hope that a little way down the line both of us are feeling much better!

We had a surgery appointment this morning - another urine test, another fasting blood test and his regular INR check. The stick from the urine test turned all colours immediately which shocked the blood nurse somewhat. Decided DH must have a kidney infection (that would explain the back pain) and after checking with the GP antibiotics were issued. Didn't get the expected detailed diet sheet, instead it's a poster sized thing with green, amber and red columns - self-explanatory. Bit disappointed, as in special menu planning I like to be told what to do - precisely. I am not a creative cook. Same as scrapbooking - I really love using sketches.

We were so late leaving the surgery I had to cancel my Indian Head Massage, which I have immediately before having my hair done - the two salons are very conveniently next door to each other. I have the IHM to stimulate my scalp following some serious hair loss a couple of years ago. Not only is it relaxing, it's also doing my hair good. Anyway, instead of the IHM I made an appointment to have a manicure AFTER having my hair done. So I did get quite a bit of ME time early this afternoon.

This evening we went out. A Dutch ex colleague (when we were all working people) was visiting our town with his wife and a couple of friends. We have a small club associated with our former company and a group of us got together for dinner this evening to welcome J, T and their friends. A lovely meal, fabulous company and we all had a great time. It will probably be the last time we see these people for some while - I absolutely hated saying goodbye! We all worked together for many years, and it's a little bit sad. My ex boss always makes me feel good though! Ten minutes with him and I can believe I was the greatest PA, organiser, and 'office wife' in the world!

It's late, I'm off to bed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home