Sunday, September 17, 2006

Sunday Blog

This was the challenge set by SJ (ScrappyFairy) today:

SUNDAY BLOGGERS #3
"If you could meet anyone famous or not, dead or alive, and sit down somewhere quiet for a chat.. who would It be and what would you talk to them about?"

I would have to choose two people, neither of whom are famous - they are my two grandmothers.

I'll begin with my dad's mother, Rachel. She died in December 1944, just two months after I was born, so I never knew her at all. She was the mother of four children, the youngest of whom was my dad (born in 1912). My dad's dad was the miller in the village where they grew up, and they did indeed live in the cottage attached to the mill. I would love to have known what life was like back then, when the mode of travel was by horse and cart (I do have a picture of my grandad with his horse and cart, which is how he made his deliveries). While my dad was alive I failed to realise the importance of the details of his childhood that he could have given me. I don't know how close Rachel and I would have been had she lived longer, I don't think there is a photograph of the two of us together.

My mum's mother was Rhoda, I called her Nan; we lived a few doors away from her and Pop until I was about 12. We became very close when she looked after me for a few months when I was 2 while mum was in hospital. I was also her first grandchild which made the bond even more special. She would often say she could write a book - my goodness, how I wish I'd done it with her, or at least listened more closely to what she had to say. She came from quite a sizeable family and so did Pop - what stories they could have told me!

It's only since I started scrapbooking last year that I've come to realise, not just the importance of their memories, but the interest they have for future generations of our family. Such a shame I wasn't paying attention .......

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim Sonksen said...

I am with ya! If only I'd known I would be scrapping I would have paid much more attention to the stories told by my grandparents.

Like you said, it must be interesting to know how life was then

8:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home