Friday, September 22, 2006

Kimmy tagged me last week to list 5 quirky or weird things about myself - it's taken me this long to come up with these:


  1. Strong winds/gales affect me badly - they make me bad tempered and very tired! I don't know anyone else who is affected this way. And actually the wind doesn't have to be that strong - anything above 20 mph qualifies.....
  2. I admit to being somewhat pedantic when it comes to English grammar and the use of, or more likely, the misuse of...... I don't like the use of '&' instead of 'and' in letters, or the use of 'text' abbreviations, such as 'u' for you and 4 for, well, for, or b4 for before.
  3. And as for apostrophes..... DGD2 went to the dentist a couple of days ago. She got a sticker which showed two hippos and the legend which read: 'The hippo's say brush your teeth twice a day' - call me old fashioned but if children are not being taught the correct use of the apostrophe at school, then I fear for humanity - this is basic stuff! And no, I haven't read 'Eats, shoots and leaves'. And I'll also lump poor spelling and bad grammar in this - I spent more than 40 years working in a secretarial role of one form or another, these things grate like nails down a blackboard. I don't care about the freedom of the individual to express themselves regardless of their ability to spell - this is their mother tongue for god's sake, if they can't write it properly, god help us. Anyone who ever applied to me for a job never got a second glance if they presented a badly spelled and presented CV or letter. *rant over*
  4. I have a thing about how I arrange the mugs I use when I make tea or coffee - I did this digi layout some time ago to illustrate it as part of a challenge! We were challenged to scrap 'a quirk' - I was sure I didn't have any - until the following morning when I found myself doing this! Haven't been able to arrange the cups like this for a while but I'm sure once we move this particular quirk will once again be evident!

5. I think my final quirky weirdo thing must be that I don't really regard these things as odd at all - they're just part of my character, they are what makes me me!

I don't know who to tag for this, Kimmy tagged anyone who wanted to do it - so I'll do the same but do let me know if you do it so I can read about your quirks too!

I've spent the best part of the day doing the work the accountant asked me to do. I am SO glad I didn't start it yesterday late in the day - this really needed a fresh brain and some concentration. Finished it at 3.30 and rushed off down to his office as they close at 4 pm on Fridays. Consequently I haven't done any more packing and now I'm starting to panic a bit.

DD and SIL are still waiting to hear if their offer on the house they want has been accepted. She is trying to arrange for her dad and me to view the house on Monday, she'd like us to see it before we go.

Last weekend we ordered a Western Europe 'card' for SIL's Tom Tom, so he and DS2 can use it to get to Spain. Haven't heard a thing - no email acknowledgement, there isn't even a way of tracking the order, and apparently no customer service department either. Bit of a rum do, if you ask me.

DD bough a 'soft' stairgate on ebay as well, specifically to take to Spain because baby E is getting everywhere now. She sent postal orders as payment and emailed the seller to ask for prompt posting because of the upcoming trip. No gate, no word from the seller, it's just not good enough.

To cap it all, the weather today has been DREADFUL.... rained nonstop the entire day, utterly miserable. Let's hope tomorrow's better (yep, I used an apostrophe - tomorrow is)......

3 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

Carole, I'm the same with correct use of the English language! Think we must be in the minority though. I hate trying to fathom out texts with abbreviations, I always feel a bit insulted as if the sender couldn't be bothered to take the time to write properly.

When do you go?

11:32 pm  
Blogger The Mad World of Me said...

Oh you would hate me! My spelling is terrible in English, but a hundred times worse in french!! I have to admit I share your hatred of the dreaded abbreviations, I can't do the "texto" thing and even have problems with a full size typewriter (as most folks see from my obvious typos), so what hope is there for me with a telephone keypad!

11:53 pm  
Blogger Kim Sonksen said...

I totally HATE the text abbrevations (who ever came up with such a long word for something so small???) too but I have to admit, sometimes they sneak into my posts without notocing them. Like the word "coz"...

I agree with the apostrophies - even though sometimes I am not sure how to use them, like when a name ends on the letter "s" and you want to say something like "this is Mr. Smiths'" dog, it takes me about two years to figure out of the ' belongs after or before the "s" but the Hippos....well even *I* know that...LOL

I do remember the cup LO - loved it then and still love it now

1:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home